Getting The Results You Should Expect When Hiring An Immigration Attorney

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Immigration
  4.  » Consular Processing

Caring Legal Help For Consular Processing

You do not necessarily have to be located in the United States to obtain a green card. You may have the option of using consular processing or applying for a green card from the American consulate in your home country.

If this sounds complicated, it’s because it is. But at ERM Immigration Law, PLLC, in Seattle, our immigration attorneys make the system work for you. We will explain the steps, help you complete every necessary document and prepare you as best as we can to secure lawful permanent residency via consular processing.

How Does Consular Processing Work?

Before any other steps, you must receive a family-based visa to reside in the U.S. Then:

  1. Locate the U.S. Department of State consulate in the country where you reside.
  2. Have your sponsor file a petition through the consulate for an adjustment of status – a green card.
  3. Wait in your home country to receive a decision regarding your petition from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
  4. Attend a doctor’s examination and an interview at the consulate.
  5. A consular employee will approve or deny your green card application.

This is just a brief overview of consular processing; your real-life experience will be much more complex and time-consuming.

Advocates Who Will Guide You

Our team believes in providing detailed help for you at every step of your petition. Immigration law is what we know best. Having worked with clients around the world, we understand the many subtle differences in regulations from country to country and how they may affect your immigration journey.

Get Guidance From A Team That Cares

Do you have questions about consular processing? We are ready to answer them and give you realistic expectations of what to expect. Contact our office to speak with one of our team members about scheduling an initial consultation. To reach us, please call 206-745-9241 or send us an email.