Getting The Results You Should Expect When Hiring An Immigration Attorney

Can you bring your fiancé(e) to the United States?

On Behalf of | Dec 22, 2022 | Immigration Law

Love knows no boundaries, but the United States government certainly does. If you are a U.S. citizen in love with a non- U.S. citizen, you might want to marry and live together in the U.S.

You may wonder whether you have to wait until after you are married before you can bring your girlfriend or boyfriend to the United States. Or can you get them into the country and marry them here?

You can marry them in the U.S. if they first get a fiancé visa

Officially titled a K-1 visa, this will allow you to marry your non-resident partner in the U.S. However, acceptance is not automatic, and you must understand and abide by the rules.

Firstly, you need to convince the immigration authorities you are marrying for love

You can’t do this by whispering sweet nothings into each other’s ears and smooching in front of the immigration officials, as your future spouse needs to be outside the country when you apply.

Instead, you need to present as much evidence as possible to show your amorous history together. Think photos, videos, love letters and emails. Back it up with anything official that has both of your names on it. For example, rental contracts, hotel reservations or overseas bank loans.

Show you can afford it

You need to prove that your fiancé won’t be a burden on the state. Financial statements from either or both of you can help to show you meet the minimum requirement.

What if you decide not to marry?

You only have 90 days to get married once they arrive in the country. If you dither and miss the date or change your mind, they will typically have to leave the country once 90 days is up.

Consider help to increase your chances of a successful outcome to this or any other immigration issue.